A new statewide timeline for enrolling in Foundation (Prep) for the 2024 school year has been released.
The timeline advises families when and how to enrol their child into Foundation (Prep) at a Victorian government school. The new timeline seeks to make the enrolment process simpler, clearer and fairer for families.
The new timeline will apply for children starting Foundation (Prep) in 2024. All government primary schools, including P-9 and P-12 schools, will follow the new timeline.
The timeline will not apply to specialist schools. For information about how to apply to enrol your child in a specialist school, you should read enrolling in a school.
Steps to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) for the 2024 school year
If your child is starting Foundation (Prep) in 2024, you will be able to apply to enrol your child in a Victorian government primary school from the start of Term 2, 2023 (Monday 24 April 2023).
What you need to do:
- Use Find my School to locate your designated neighbourhood school (referred to as your local school) and read about enrolling in a school. Please note school zones for 2024 will be available in late Term 1, 2023.
- Contact a government primary school to book a school tour or to learn more about the school and the enrolment application process.
- Download the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers for the 2024 school year’ (available to download from the start of Term 2, 2023).
- Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 28 July 2023.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 11 August 2023. If you receive an offer of placement, you should accept the offer by Friday 25 August 2023.
- Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2023.
- Your child will start Foundation (Prep) from Tuesday 30 January 2024.
Enrolment applications submitted after 28 July 2023 will be processed by the school as they are received, in accordance with the Department’s Placement Policy.
Your child has a right to enrol at their local school. Your child’s local school is determined on the basis of their permanent residential address. Visit Find my School to locate your child’s local school. The enrolling in a school page can also help you to confirm your child’s address for enrolment.
If you are seeking to apply to enrol your child in a school that is not their local school, you should read about school zones and how they work and how applications are prioritised using the Department’s Placement Policy found on the enrolling in a school page.
Additional supporting materials – factsheet
A factsheet providing a summary of the Foundation (Prep) enrolment process has been developed to complement the detailed Enrolment Information Pack. The factsheet includes key dates in the process, Frequently Asked Questions and references to relevant policies.
The factsheet is currently available in English. Translated factsheets will be available in early 2023.
Factsheet for Foundation (Prep) enrolment process